[Fwd: Re: EAGLESeval: a question]

Forwarded with permission.

Maghi
--
Please note my new e-mail address (old address was king@divsun.unige.ch)
Maghi King                   | E-mail: Margaret.King@issco.unige.ch
ISSCO, University of Geneva  | WWW: http://issco-www.unige.ch/
54 route des Acacias         | Tel: +41/22/705 71 14
CH-1227 GENEVA (Switzerland) | Fax: +41/22/300 10 86

---- Begin included message ----

Hi Maghi

Just to throw  my tuppence worth into the ring.

I have used (or tried to use) just about every dictation product on the
market.  At times i can achieve teh 95% or so accuracy they claim.

Yet I  cannot get used to them - and as soon as I have to correct something
using the keypad my fingers remain there!

I have also heard claims that at their current accuracy levels they are
about 3 times slower than a poor typist.  This is simply because any time
gained in inputting text is more than lost when the text has to be
corrected.

In any case comparing typing speed is probably irrelevant at this stage.
Probably the most important question concerns the perceived effort of using
such systems.

This would be extremely easy to measure - I would set it out as follows:

1.  Select 12 people with a range of typing skills (e.g. 4 non typists), 4
people untrained as typists but frequent user sof keybaords and 4 touch
typists

2. Select 12 tasks - 4 copy typing tasks, 4 'creative tasks' (e.g. type a
short essay on your holidays) and 4 copy dictation tasks

3. Select 3 input methods - dictation system, oridinary wordprocessor and as
a 3rd I would suggest a real Wizard of Oz Touchtypist who could actually
understand what was required (and possibly even speak back to query).

After each task ask for an opinion on that task. A scale along the lines of
(this would need to be refined but gives the gist).

		A.  Extremely easy - no effort required at all
		B.  Easy to complete but required a little effort.
		C.  Required effort but was not too difficult to use.
  		D.  Required a great deal of effort.
		E.  Impossible to use

Once the results are obtained and scored (A = 4; B = 3; C = 2; D = 1; E = 0)
then opinions can be compared.

With this design for example you will have a total of 144 opinions which can
be partitioned into

3 averages from  user types - with 48 examples of each (averaged over tasks
and devices)

3 averages from devices types - 48 examples of each averaged over tasks and
users

3 averages from taks types - 48 each averaged over users and devices.

Could be a very telling experiment.

Regards,

Denis johnston

---- End included message ----